Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Beloved

If you've talked to me in the last few months, you know that I don't always fit into the stereotype of a perfect West Los Angelino.  I don't like clubs.  I have no desire to go out every night. I am not on Atkins, vegan or eating gluten-free.  I eat carbs.  I don't wear jeans that cost $350. I am not cool.  It's taken me a really long time to realize that no one is cool.  Some people are just better at pretending than others.

But I do have some good friends and every once in a while - one of them busts out something that really hits home:

"You know, you might never be the person you want to be.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing. From where I'm sitting, the person you are now doesn't look half as bad or in need of order as you might be thinking. That person might actually be pretty awesome. Confused, a little effed up, and maybe more than a little crazy, but who isn't?  Besides, what if you fix your pretty little box, become superiorly mentally balanced, and all that ish.  Then what?  You'd probably become scary, and smug and write books and never leave your house. I would surely de-friend you.  Not to say you'd ever know!!!"

So calm and rational for the person who (literally) jumped across the table at trivia last night because "someone" didn't mark the double for the round (and maybe we would have won if "someone" had). Not very "Lenty!"  Five dollars in the penalty jar (you know who you are!).

Then I listened to a podcast of Monsignor Torgerson's homily from ass mass.  He was talking about the scene where Jesus is tempted by the devil after his 40 days in the desert.  The devil tells Jesus that if he is truly the Son of God and the beloved, then he will ___________.  Monsignor used this example to point out that we should let no one tell us who we are:

The greatest sin is if we dance to the tune of someone else - we're this, we're that, or we're something else.  No, we are who we are and we are the beloved of our God. Don't let anyone tell us anything else. Be who you are. Be content with who you are....Do not allow yourself or be tempted to become something you are not. Sin is when we disallow or disbelieve and become who we are not....So I hope this time of Lent....we will hear, clearly, "You are the beloved, highly favored and blessed by the Living God.


I have a lot of issues with St. Monica's (mostly the lack of parking), but we are truly blessed to have such a talented leader in Monsignor.

You can download his homilies on itunes or listen online at:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/StMonicaCatholicCommunity





No comments:

Post a Comment