Sunday, September 12, 2010

I was lost, but now I am found!

We set off at about 11am this morning. The guide sent me on my way, telling me to follow the signs to Hospital de Orbigo and then Astorga. It was about a 42 mile journey today.



Well, as can be expected i got lost. I ended up on a back country road that eventually lead me to Hospital de Orbigo. I also ended up in a highway (which is the old Camino!). I go a flat tire about three km from Astorga. I was in the middle of changing it and the autopista came and helped!!! Hooray!!! So after some time I was back on the Camino. I saw a lot of other Pilgrims.

In Astorga, I arrive about 3 hours ahead of the rest of my group. My stuff was in the van, so I walked around Astorga. The cathedral was closed. But I saw the Palace that Antonio Gaudi designed. I was again amazed at how adept spaniards are at being together - multiple generations all existing together.

I am so grateful for this experience. I loved riding through the Spanish country. It was relatively flat today. Since I wasn't on the main Camino, I didn't see a lot if scallops (the official symbol of the Camino de Santiago). But I am always pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of Spanish life.

I didn't ice cream...tomorrow I will have ice cream!!!!

Some pictures of where we are staying (supposedly Napoleon stayed here!):



The obsession continues...

Getting ready to head out the next morning


1 comment:

  1. Laura - Wow I can't tell you how proud I am of you. What a terrific adventure you are on. You are so brave. I hope the wonderful memories that you will have of this time will carry you through life and sustain you during any difficult times you may have in the future. I am enjoying reading about your adventures everyday. We are thinking of you and praying for God to keep you safe from harm. Love and Kisses - Ding and Angel.....AND KING LEO !!! Leo says "hey you could have taken me in the Burley trailor" maybe next time King Leo.

    ReplyDelete