Monday, September 13, 2010

It's between you and God

"Yo soy el camino, la verdad y la vida. Nadie viene al padre sino es por mi."
I am the way, the truth and the light (life). No one comes to know the father but through me."


One of our guides, Pedro, always says: It's between you and God. Today I was joking that since I'm always ahead, i could just take a taxi to Santiago and no would know! "Well thats between you and God!" This really caught my attention because I am always worried about what so and so will think. I don't always care about what others think of what I wear or have. But I get caught up in having people know where I've been, what I think, what I've done, etc. In the end, it just won't matter. It will be between me and God. It won't matter that I married who everyone else thinks I should marry or had a hard job or had a Pottery Barn couch. More often I let people think things about me thy aren't true (like if I took a taxi to Santiago) because I want them to think that and I don't want to take responsibility for my own thoughts and feelings. I think what will matter is whether I was kind to others, loved God and did what made me happy. This is my life, given to me by God. It is mine to live. Others can make their own decisions with their lives and I need to make the decisions that are right for my life. I know that some decisions will lead to heart ache and that is what others try to protect me from. But heart ache is part of life and by avoiding it I may also be avoiding the joy that also comes from making your own decisions.

Climbing, climbing, climbing...

No comments:

Post a Comment